DECLARATION OF THE TEMPLE OF APOLLO EPIKOURIOS AT BASSAE INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS ASSOCIATION
We who have joined in assembly in the temple of the Apollo Epikourios at Bassae in Greece on the 14th of May 2014, having critically appraised our respective contributions on a level of mutual respect and understanding, resolve the following:
• We acknowledge that the temple of Apollo Epikourios, which stands in the bare and rocky Peloponnesian landscape of Bassae in Greece, is one of the most important and most imposing temples of antiquity.
• We underline the pivotal importance of its protection as a monument unique in the history of ancient Greek architecture as it combines a variety of novel ideas both in its external appearance and in its internal arrangements, as well as technological and artistic archetypes.
• We consider its promotion as a world heritage monument of major importance and source of study, research and inspiration.
• We express our strong support to the custodians of its safekeeping, restoration and maintenance.
We thus accordingly decide:
• Τo establish the international association of the friends of the temple of Apollo Epikourios at Bassae, a permanent institution aiming at bringing together personalities who wish to contribute to the above mentioned endeavours.
• Τo encourage the planning and the adoption of specific programmes leading to national and international initiatives and projects in all scientific, cultural, educational and ecological fields concerning the protection and promotion of the monument and its natural environment for the benefit of the youth and the international society.
• Τo create the Centre for the research and Promotion of the temple of Apollo Epikourios at Bassae, in Greece, as meeting point and venue of the living heritage and study, utilization and promotion of the monument.
• Τo invoke the cooperation of the international and national Authorities, the private sector, as well as that of individual citizens in our own respective countries and invite all others who share in our cause to support in word and deed our common mission.
And finally we declare that:
• The world cultural heritage serves as a promising bridge of peace and friendship among peoples.
• The temple of Apollo Epikourios at Bassae is a link between past and present with diachronic impact on the world and towards the utilization of the vast asset and potential of its legacy for everyone's benefit.